Estero Llano Grande
Events & Programs Announcements
Events and Programs:
• Texas Outdoor Family- November 16, 2013. Learn everything you need to know to have a successful camping experience at a Texas Outdoor Family (TOF) workshop.
• Full Moon Hikes 8:00-10:00pm – Call for Dates Join our guides on a night time adventure prowling for owls, searching for scorpions, and trekking for tarantulas. This general nature hike will take you to the moon and stars as we look at the night sky and then back to the park in search of the night creatures of the park.
• New Moon Program – Call for Dates Search the stars and planets on the darkest night of the month. Learn about telescopes and stargazing technology. Act out a some of the stories of the sky. With endless possibilities looking in to the vast universe, this new astronomy based program is one not to miss.
• Bird Walks Wednesdays, Saturdays and Sundays at 8:30am-10:30am. Join us for an unforgettable avian adventure. Contact us for more information. Fee: Program is free with park entrance.
• Butterfly Walks – Fridays 1:30pm-3:30pm Join a park naturalist and observe the vast amounts of colorful butterflies that are attracted to the gardens in the park.
Fee: Program is free with park entrance.
• Electric Tram Nature Tours –Sundays and Wednesdays through March from 2-4pm
• School Programs –Contact info here.
Estero Llano Grande State Park
Camp Thicket is one of the oldest remnants of mature Tamaulipan Thorn Forest left in the Rio Grande Valley. Texas Parks & Wildlife Department purchased the old Methodist Camp Thicket in April 2010. The land was purchased by the agency to conserve our rapidly vanishing native habitat. As part of the State Park, Camp Thicket continues to serve large groups. It is a private area which hold two separate meeting and overnight facilities.
The South Complex is composed of one large building with six bedrooms including 5 bunk beds in each room. Each room has a bathroom with showers. There is a large kitchen and meeting space. It has a large barbeque pit and ice machine.
The North Complex consists of individual bunk houses, two separate shower houses, a recreation hall with kitchen and dining hall or meeting space. It also has a large barbeque pit.
Camp Thicket also has a large Chapel, an Outdoor Pavilion, and a nature trail.
View a Specific Calendar. See List Below!
Bentsen-Rio Grande Valley Calendar of Events
Edingburg Scenic Wetlands Calendar of Events
Estero Llano Grande Calendar of Events
Harlingen Arroyo Colorado Calendar of Events
Old Hidalgo Pumphouse Calendar of Events
Quinta Mazatlan Calendar of Events
Resaca de la Palma Calendar of Events
Roma Bluffs Calendar of Events
South Padre Island Birding & Nature Center Calendar of Events
Nine Unique Locations
Bentsen-Rio Grande Valley
Edinburg Scenic Wetlands
Estero Llano Grande
Harlingen Arroyo Colorado
Old Hidalgo Pumphouse
Resaca de la Palma
South Padre Island Birding and Nature